Twelve Things You Can Do Now to Prepare Your Home to Sell in the Spring
There are several things that you can be doing right now, in the dead of Winter, to make sure your house is ready to be showcased and sold in the Spring. First and foremost, it goes without saying that you must de-clutter, CLEAN, CLEAN and CLEAN. This goes for the exterior of the house, the yard, and the garage as well as every single room inside. This list includes the things that you can do in addition to de-cluttering and cleaning. And be very honest with yourself, if you are not a licensed contractor, several of these items you will need to hire a professional to do the work. Our website has a list of Trusted Professionals that we can recommend. Here is the page on our website where you can access the list, http://goo.gl/jUe51Y. Also, you may want to consider having a good home inspection done which will identify most of the items on this list for you.
1. Heating and Air Conditioning – Inspect prior to the cooling season and have the HVAC system serviced maintained as required.
2. Air Filters - Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace, and/or heat pump.
3. Roof – Inspect the roof and identify anything that might cause leaks or problems such as nail pops and broken/loose shingles. In the attack, look for stains/discoloration and rot/deterioration in the plywood sheathing; these indicate leaks in the roof.
4. Gutters and Down Spouts – Inspect and clean the all gutters and the down spouts.
5. Home Exterior – Inspect condition of siding, paint, masonry, sub-floor insulation and trim. Repair or replace any damaged/deterioration.
6. Doors and Windows – Inspect to verify they have proper operation, security and that they are weather-resistance.
7. Walls – Inspect surfaces, make repairs and add fresh paint as required.
8. Cabinets and Countertops – Inspect, maintain and repair as required.
9. Under your home – Inspect the area under your home. Look for leaks, wood rot and termites. Make any necessary repairs.
10. Electrical System – Inspect the electrical system and maintain as required. Have a professional determine if your electrical system and receptacles/outlets are up to code with GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) devices.
11. Tubs, Sinks and Showers – Inspect and make repairs as required. Fill the sinks and tubs with water, drain them and then check the plumbing underneath for leaks.
12. Carpets and Wood Floors – Regularly clean and repair as required.
Here is a video on staging your home http://goo.gl/EM9r4G . And don't forget about curb appeal. Pressure wash the exterior of the house, the porches/Steps and sidewalks. Remove the dead plants from last summer. Plant winter plants that will provide color well into the late spring like Pansies, Snapdragons and Ornamental Kale.
The Craig Realty Group can provide you with professional advice on curb appeal, staging and when to hire the professionals. We are happy to meet with you and provide you with valuable assistance and advice while you prepare your home to sell in the Spring. Simply complete the 'Contact' field to the right of this blog with your contact information and we will promptly contact you.